Saturday, July 27, 2002

The other night I came up with a plot idea that I might use for this year's NaNoWriMo entry. Of course, that means I have to finish writing last year's novel.

Well, I really don't, but it's the principle of the thing. I'm currently stalled out at about 50,000 words, but I'm only about halfway through the story. I know where it's going, but the next part is one of the difficult portions to write. Some of the themes and actions addressed in the story are pretty emotionally taxing, and while it's been rather therapeutic to dissect those subjects on the page, actually coming up with the words to tell the story is like reliving those episodes all over again. When I was doing the late night writing sessions with Rosencrantz, we took eight billion cigarette breaks and had mini-therapy sessions in the kitchen.

The next one won't be as traumatic to write, but I need to start researching. I think it might be an "on the road" novel. Of course, I just realized that I'm completely ripping off Rosencrantz. Her first novel was a soul-searching odyssey centering on a traumatic episode and the personal choices made as a result of it. The one she's working on now is a fictional account of a trip she and Guildenstern took out west a few years ago. But since I never get the chance to travel, mine will be completely fictional. I'm not sure if that will make it easier or more difficult to write.

I also haven't figured out if the new attempt will be a sequel of the last novel, or if it will be about completely new characters. Guess I should get cracking on last year's model, and go from there.

After I finish this project, that is.

No comments: