Tuesday, July 10, 2001

Notes From the Road



Greetings from Bethlehem, PA. I'm currently sitting in Roger Mexico's living room, listening to Radiohead and quaffing the fine local brew, trying to type quietly so as not to wake my host.

Who am I kidding? The boy could sleep through a full scale nuclear assault.

(Oh, and speaking of Radiohead, they're the guest stars this week on South Park. Can I say how terrified I am?)

So, to catch up...Rosencrantz took me to the airport bright and early on Saturday morning. I was still nervous about the whole travelling alone thing, and I'd never used e-tickets before. Oh yeah, and I was exhausted from the happy hour that I stayed much too long at the night before. So I mumbled something to the clerk at the ticket counter approximating my reservation info, and he managed to pull my boarding passes in about 30 seconds, and was really nice to me. Yay Northwest Airlines.

The flight(s) to Philadelphia were rather uneventful. A bit of turbulence, screaming kids during take-off. Roger Mexico was a little late picking me up( due to traffic). We tossed my bags in the trunk and set off to explore Philadelphia. We did the touristy stuff; we saw the Liberty Bell and walked through part of Independence Hall. I'm not a big history buff, but it's always cool to see the things you've read about in your elementary school social studies class. The Avenues of the Arts section of town was nearby, so we walked around there as well, checking out the shops and lamenting the fact that we missed Echo and the Bunnymen by two days.

It started to get dark, and I had a gigantic blister on my toe, so we headed back to his apartment, stopping on the way to get some beer. Apparently beer is only available from licensed beer distributors here, rather than being in every gas station and mini-mart in the city. Weird, but not a big deal. We had a few beers and fell asleep in front of the TV. (Turner Movie Classics was showing Jaws, which I haven't seen in its entirety since my father traumatized us by taking the family to the theater to see it in the 70s. And since I fell asleep, I guess I still haven't seen it since.)

On Sunday, we decided to go see A.I. at the local theater. Since everyone with internet access has dissected this movie with a fine-edged instrument, I'll forgo the nitpicky comments. It was uneven, but overall we decided we liked it. Jude Law was good, as was Hayley Joel Osment. I was almost as excited about the trailers as I was the movie, though. Fellowship of the Ring, Jurassic Park III, and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone! I was hopping up and down in my seat like a giddy seven year old. Roger Mexico just looked at me like I was a complete freak. Which I am.

After a quick stop at the grocery store (we're trying to be frugal and save our money for New York this weekend), we went back to the apartment and had a quick dinner before stopping over at a get-together with Roger Mexico's co-workers. I was the only woman, the only non-theater person, and the only non-employee of the university, so at times I was a little lost in the conversation. But all in all, Roger Mexico works with quite nice folks.

I must also say that the city itself is quite nice. A lot of the buildings are quite old, and there's a definite small town charm to it all. Driving past the abandoned steel mill was really depressing, but fascinating. Miles and miles of empty buildings and long untouched machinery. It reminded me of growing up in my hometown when they shut the General Motors plant down. One minute a booming industry that was the lifeblood of the town, the next...nothing. Sad. But it seems that the city is starting to bounce back.

I wish I could say I slept well that night, but I ended up having horrendous nightmares, which culminated in the cats knocking a large wooden board onto my legs at 6:00 am. Ouch. At least it stopped the bad dreams, I guess.

I puttered around the apartment for the majority of the day, and amused myself by cleaning Roger Mexico's kitchen while he was at work. He hadn't unpacked all his dishes, so I took it upon myself to unpack the last box, wash the dishes, and find homes for them in the cabinets. It kept me busy, and made me feel like I was earning my keep.

After dinner, we walked to the library to return a few movies and ended up renting a few as well. Tonight was The Hudsucker Proxy, which has been on my list of movies to rent for ages. The Coen brothers and Sam Raimi...hee. And Bruce Campbell was in it. Yay! I'm going to be saying "You know...for kids," for the next few weeks.

Tomorrow I swear I'm going to walk around the neighborhood. There's a lot of little shops within a few blocks, as well as a large bookstore and a movie theater (which is showing Doctor Dolittle 2, which I kind of want to see). And tomorrow night I think we're going to drive to New Hope, which apparently is an artsy little town near Philly. Because, as lovely as the town is, it's not exactly the excitement capital of the world, and we don't want to spend every night glued to the TV watching movies.

And I need to buy real coffee. Roger Mexico unintentionally bought decaf. And it's Folgers. This will not do, and unless he wants me to drink all of his instant Cafe Mocha (which actually isn't half bad), I need to get some real stuff. There's a gourmet coffee shop up the street; I'm sure they have carry-out beans. I figure it's the least I can do since he's sharing his fake chicken with me.

There's also an open poetry reading on Friday at a nearby shop, and if I can persuade Roger Mexico to dig out his copy of my book, I may go and possibly unleash my angsty verse upon the unsuspecting locals. Or I may just sit there like a wimp and politely listen.

The New York trip is shaping up to be interesting but busy. We're trying to figure out how to meet up with two of Roger Mexico's co-workers from previous jobs as well as arranging a meeting with Crew and J, as well as going shopping for CDs in a few trendy little shops in the Village and hitting a club that night. Of course, we still haven't decided when we're actually leaving for the city, or where we're going to stay. Roger Mexico is worse at planning ahead than I am, and that's saying something.

Some relaxing vacation, huh? I'm living the glamorous life even in the middle of nowhere.

No comments: