Thursday, November 02, 2000

Stuff and Junk



No subject tonight, just a few random thoughts. I must be brief tonight, since I am going to the Elliott Smith show at Southgate House, and have no idea how many people are going to be there. What kind of following does he have in Cincinnati? It could be five people, it could be 300. I don't listen to the radio much anymore, so I don't know how hard 97X has been supporting his new album.

First off, a retraction from last night's entry. It looks as though the Dulcify shows have been cancelled. It seems Roger Mexico and his bandmate have parted ways. It was inevitable, but he had figured they would finish out their scheduled performances and pack it in. Guess not. Oh well. I now have the very rare demo CD. (Well, besides the fact that most, if not all, of the songs are out there as MP3s in various locations around the 'net.) It was fun while it lasted.

I also found out that Psycho Beach Party is closing at the Esquire today, and as usual, I have procrastinated and missed yet another feature that will be next to impossible to find at the sad sad little Blockbuster Video by my house.

That always happens to me. One night, too many things to do. I go a week without any plans, and then there's eight billion social occasions on the very same night. (To add to the frustration, Nash called and invited me to Spy Club for his pre-birthday celebration. Sorry babe, I'm booked, and I can't afford the drinks there at this point.)

Being poor sucks. I'm just sayin'.

The Big Pig Gig ended last week, and they're starting to collect the pig statues from downtown to ready them for auction. (For those of you who weren't downtown this summer, The Big Pig Gig was modeled after a public art exhibit of fiberglass cows in Zurich, which was later adopted by Chicago. Artists in the Cincinnati area submitted designs for creating original artwork on fiberglass pigs, and they were placed all over town. Proceeds from the auctions, both live and online, will benefit local charities. Toronto's doing the same thing right now, except they're using moose.) I miss them. Fountain Square looks so empty and drab without them. I didn't get to see all of them, and some of them were kind of tacky, but it made working downtown a little less humdrum. I'm sure they'll be doing a book of the collection, so if anyone wants to know what to get me for Christmas....

Lookie, lookie! I finally got my links up (on the sidebar for now...will tackle more complicated stuff later)! Right now, the links are to friends' webpages. I'll include my personal favorites (written by people I don't know) when I actually get a links page set up. But for now, these are the people in my neighborhood (with all apologies to Sesame Street for ripping off that line and using it for such a silly reference).

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I just saw an ad in the paper...Hootie and the Blowfish will be playing at Jillian's. Remember when you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing them on every damn station? I wasn't even aware of the fact that they were still together, but apparently they are, and have a new album out. Shows you what I know.

OK, that's all for now. Lousy post, I know. But time is of the essence, and I need to get moving.

No comments: