Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Myo's Massive Midpoint Adventure: The Pre-Planning



So here we are again. It's that time of the year when downtown Cincinnati is invaded by musicians from all corners of the world. It's that time of the year when Main Street teems with people, actually resembling the Entertainment district it was intended to be. It's that time of the year when I pore through dozens of band websites to map out a sensible weekend itinerary, put aside my preference for Smithwick's for Christian Moerlein, and actually update my much-neglected Blogspot.

Yep, it's Midpoint Music Festival time.

I'd planned ahead this year. I requested Thursday and Friday off from work so I could write my recaps in a timely manner. I'd spent two weekends checking out MySpace pages for bands from Chicago and New Mexico and the Netherlands, printed out various color-coded incarnations of my personal schedule, and planned out hip-and-sensible outfits for each evening. (Yes, I planned my outfits. Sometimes I'm a total girl about these things.)

After an unplanned good night's sleep Tuesday night (my "short nap before trivia" turned into "unconscious until 2 am"), I awoke to predictions of scattered thunderstorms for the evening. Aw, crap, not again. (There were torrential downpours during Midpoint last year. All of the outdoor venues got rained out and I spent much of the weekend completely waterlogged.) Seeing as how the kickoff location was Fountain Square, this was a problem. (A quick check of the Midpoint website confirmed that a venue had been secured in the event of rain. Whew!)

So now all that's left is to slog through a few hours of work, grab a copy of CityBeat for their full coverage of the weekend's event, scamper home to change clothes and toss a notebook and a handful of pens into my bag, and head off to Fountain Square (or the Know Theater) for an evening of music, movies, and mayhem. Until then, I'm keeping a nervous eye out my window on the looming grey clouds.

No comments: