Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Weekly Music Mix: The Anti-Schmoopy Edition



We're rotten fruit
We're damaged goods
What the hell, we've got nothing more to lose
One gust and we will probably crumble...

- Radiohead, "Backdrifts (Honeymoon is Over)"


This has not been the best day for me. Valentine's Day seldom is. I guess I just get sick of society and the media telling me that I must be defective since I'm still single at this age. I've been a little too introspective today, and realized most of the relationships I've had that lasted longer than a few days have not been of the happy kind. At the best, I end up as a doormat or used by the other person. At the worst, it turns into full blown verbal abuse. And as I have been the only constant in these interactions, I have to come to the conclusion that I'm the problem in the equation. I figured, rather than perpetuating the same bad experience, it would be best to just take myself out the equation.

So, yeah. Not all that into the hearts and flowers and nonstop advertisements for dating services and diamonds. The chocolate, however, is OK.

In lieu of an actual post of substance, here's a playlist to balance out all of the teeth-rotting sweetness and light of the day:

I Wish I Never Saw the Sunshine - Beth Orton
All That Was Said - Hamell on Trial (featuring Ani DiFranco)
Waltz #1 - Elliott Smith
Drown in My Own Tears - The Smithereens
Backdrifts (Honeymoon is Over) - Radiohead
Parting Gift - Fiona Apple
Last Goodbye - Jeff Buckley
Do We Even Belong Together? - Freekbass
Where Am I Gonna Run To - Ryan Downe
Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely - Husker Du
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me - The Smiths
Song For the Dumped - Ben Folds Five
Valentine's Day Song - Lovely Crash


Now, if you'll excuse me, there's some things that need killin' in The Barrens.

No comments: