Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Monday Mix, Somewhat Delayed



Wow. It took me less than a week to meet my self-imposed deadline. That's gotta be some kind of record.

I had every intention of posting a mix when I got home last night, but a much-long-than-planned shopping excursion in search of necessities made me realize how exhausted the day (and the preceding weekend) had made me. I ate dinner, knit a few rows of I-cord, and fell asleep on the couch. Go me!

These were the first ten songs that Antoinette decided to play this morning...

"He's My Best Friend" - Jellyfish, Spilt Milk I'd always thought this would be a great song to use in a movie montage. Unfortunately, the makers of that crappy movie Threesome had the same idea and used it in that capacity. Oh well.

"Don't Worry About the Government" - Talking Heads, Sand in the Vaseline Um, yeah. What color is the sky in your world, Antoinette?

"Emojoe" - Infinite Number of Sounds, Time Wants a Skeleton This is going to be one of those incredibly random mixes, isn't it? I didn't make it to their show the other weekend. Thankfully, they come back frequently enough that I can possibly catch them the next time around. (This also makes me giggle because the quiz that I had to delete on Friday pegged me as an emo kid. Heh.)

"Guerilla Radio" - Richard Cheese, Lounge Against the Machine Because there's no better way to start the day than with a lounge cover of Rage Against the Machine.

"Enbracing the Sunshine" - BT, Ima And apparently there's no better way to follow up a lounge cover of Rage Against the Machine than with 11 minutes of trance. Are there iPsychiatrists on staff at AppleCare?

"Kill Your Television" - Ned's Atomic Dustbin, God Fodder One of my friends used to set his alarm clock to play this some when it was time for him to get up in the morning. Guess that two bass assault was just the right kick to the head he needed to get moving.

"Hardcore" - See Colin Slash This song still makes me giggle, because I personally know: one person who has to dye his hair black before he makes his occasional foray out to a club, one person who had pink hair when I met her, several people who would get dressed up to go out to a dance club and not dance, and more than one vegetarian who consistently wore leather. Plus it's got a good beat and I can dance to it.

"Pendulum" - Broadcast, Haha Sound I found this album in the used CD bin at Everybody's Records and, recalling that Roger Mexico had mentioned the band on more than one occasion, decided to take a chance on it. Good move on my part. Not for everyone's tastes, of course, but I like the lo-fi retro pop feel to the songs wedged between the more experimental dissonance.

"Bottle Up and Explode!" - Elliott Smith, XO The Poster Boy for the Sad Boys with Guitars genre. Yes, I'm still kicking myself after all these years that I didn't buy my tickets in advance to the Southgate show that sold out. "Oh well, I'll just see him the next time he comes through town." Yeah, as long as the artist doesn't stab himself in the chest twice. Dammit.

"Bloodshot Eyes" - Pat Benatar, True Love Yes, that Pat Benatar. The DJ at DV8 Swing nights used to play this song every night, and it was one of my favorite songs to dance to. One night I finally got around to asking the DJ who sang the song. Yeah, it took me a few minutes to wrap my head around the idea of "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and a cover of "Payin' the Cost to Be the Boss" coming from the same source. And then I immediately went out and bought the album.

Wow, that was random. The shufflemonkeys seem to be in rare form today....

No comments: