Thursday, September 22, 2005

MPMF 2005 Mania: The Pre-plan




Less than 20 hours until the first bands take the stage at Midpoint Music Festival 2005. I've worked out a preliminary schedule of bands and artists that piqued my interest while listening to audio samples on the electronic press kits. This list will probably change, as I still haven't had the chance to read through all of the band blurbs in CityBeat. I've also included way too many bands (40 in three nights), and there's always the possibility that I will run into someone who drags me to see their buddy's band. But on the good side, more bands = less time in each venue = less time to sit on my butt and drink beer = more money to spend on CDs.

But for now, this is the plan. And yes, I did draw out a map of the bars in the Main Street district to minimize walking time and maximize music time. How lame is that?

Thursday

9:00
The Green Room - Japps
late nite drivers - Club Dream
David Levin - Coopers on Main

10:00
Reidnoise - Jekyll & Hyde's 2nd Floor
entheos - Neon's Upstairs
Jayne Sachs Band - Neon's Courtyard

11:00
pale beneath the blue - Neon's Upstairs
ashwednesday - The Exchange
Philosopher's Stone - Courtyard Cafe

12:00
for algernon - Coopers on Main
Ric Hordinski - Neon's Upstairs


Friday

9:00
Soular - Jefferson Hall
Two Turntables and a Saxophone - Jekyll & Hyde's 2nd Floor
Schooley Station - The Exchange

10:00
Fairmount Girls - Club Dream
Hungry Lucy - Jekyll & Hyde's 2nd Floor
Kohai - Jefferson Hall
bulletproof charm - Neon's Courtyard

11:00
Bel Auburn - Jefferson Hall
Emily Strand and the Town - Jekyll & Hyde's 3rd Floor
(in)camera - Alchemize Upstairs

12:00
Noctaluca - Jefferson Hall
Brian Deer - Neon's
Buckra - Red Cheetah

1:00
Aether - Japps
The Spectacular Fantastic - Alchemize
Adam Evil and the Outside Royalty - Alchemize Upstairs


Saturday

9:00
Unfinished Thought - Club Dream
Moonshot Radio - Jekyll & Hyde's 3rd Floor

10:00
Cinema Star - Neon's
(another random band to be added later)

11:00
Infinite Number of Sounds - Club Dream
The Times -Courtyard Cafe

12:00
FLUTTR EFFECT - Club Dream
ism - Japps
The Oggs - Jekyll and Hyde's 3rd Floor
Never the Nines - Neon's
The Samurai Seven - Neon's Courtyard
The Newbees - Neon's Upstairs

(Yes, I know I have listed 6 bands in one time slot. Delusional? Yep.)

1:00
Oval Opus - Jefferson Hall
Lovely Crash - Japps


I've got my walking shoes and notebook set out for tomorrow evening. The VCR is already set to record CSI:. And I'm already clockwatching... 19 hours, 19 minutes, and I can forget about my job for a while and pretend to be the World's Worst Music Critic.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello

Shoot looks like fun but I will miss it. I woudl very much like to catch 2 Turntables and a Sax. Sorry it has been a bit since the last clue, I am in Paris at the moment and have been working in Brussels for a bit. No internet access at the hotel and too many beers to remember how ot work a pc. :) Lets see, the next clue, we went to October Fest and I got too drunk to have a good night. And yes it has been years. :) Hope you schedule worked out.
Cheers

myopic said...

And the mystery continues... you're assuming that I was sober at an Oktoberfest? Between the beer and my aging brain, I'm stumped. Did we work together? Go to school together? Live together?

(You know, you could just email me and say hello and put me out of my misery. But I'm supposing that watching me virtually go insane is more fun, huh?)

So far the festival has been fun. With the exception of a few bands that were good but not quite my style, most of the artists have been excellent. I've jotted down tons of notes, but have not had the chance to try to make a sensible post from them. Leaving for the last night shortly; hopefully will have something coherent posted in the next few days.

(Paris? Brussels? Sounds fabulous, although I'm a bit jealous, being not so well-traveled. Hope you recover from the too-many-beers syndrome.)

Off to brave the crowds on Main Street....

Anonymous said...

Hello
If I sent you an email, you would know right away, my name is on my email. :) And yes, watching you pull your hair out virtually is amusing.

myopic said...

You are a cruel man... er, woman... um, person. ;-) Guess it's a good thing that I grew my hair out. Much more of it to pull out in frustration!

Anonymous said...

Guten Tag
In Berlin now. I guess should say I am male, so hopefully that helps.
Ciao

myopic said...

Well, that does eliminate one person from my list. Guess I didn't skip pysch classes for beer and pizza in the Rhine Room or learn to conjugate obscenities in French while standing in line to see INXS in 1987 with you.

I guess that's progress. Hope Berlin is treating you well....