Wednesday, February 20, 2002

To Coin a Phrase...



"O brave new world,
That has such people in't!"

- Miranda, The Tempest, Act V, Scene I (William Shakespeare)


First off, a few editorial notes....

Roger Mexico's band site (Monologue) is currently in limbo due to monetary weirdness going on at Garageband. Hopefully things will work out there, because I believe it was a wonderful venue to hear bands that otherwise might not get a chance because they don't fit into the BoyBand/Nü Metal/Scantily Clad Teen Girl genres perpetuated by Big Label Music Companies.

Much love to Musashi and all the folks who followed his link to my page. It was so wonderful to hear from new readers that popped in to say hi. Welcome, all. Help yourselves to the bottomless cups of coffee! (Not to ignore my "old skool" readers. I didn't start writing this page as an easy scheme to gain popularity; whether I have two readers or two million, it's mostly a place for me to express myself. But hearing from people who have stumbled upon my writing is a definite ego boost, and motivates me to continue to try a bit harder. I love you all, whether you've been here since day one or just found me yesterday. The more the merrier, right?)

OK. Onward to the subject at hand.

After the loss of my job in December, I went through a phase where I felt that I was a failure because of my unemployment. It didn't matter that I believed myself to be a good person at heart. The fact that I was not depositing a paycheck into my bank account on a regular basis made me a loser, unsuccessful. Or at least that was what I saw when I looked in the mirror.

I brought this up to Rosencrantz one night after dinner, and she violently disagreed. Yes, she pointed out, it was a bit of a challenge that I was in between paychecks, but sitting around condemning myself for not being gainfully employed wasn't going to solve anything. She remarked that while I was conducting my job search, I should take advantage of my new found freedom and live Life the way I wanted.

"But I don't have a job," I protested. "I'm not a contributing member of society. I'm a slacker."

"You're not a slacker," she replied. "You're a lifestyle pioneer."

The term has stuck in our circle of friends. Lately I've been thinking what our newly created terminology really means. I'm not big on labels, but to my way of thinking there should be a definition of what a lifestyle pioneer is and is not. So after a bit of thought, here's what I was able to come up with....


    Being a lifestyle pioneer has nothing to do with the way you dress, what your spiritual beliefs are, or what you do to earn a paycheck. Being a lifestyle pioneer is an interior status, and cannot be bought at the mall.

    There is no "right" way to become a lifestyle pioneer. There are no classes to attend, no clubs to join, no membership dues to pay. It is up to the individual to find the correct path for himself or herself.

    A lifestyle pioneer is not afraid to try new things, whether it be a new food or a new philosophy. Living one's life without a willingness to experiment limits one's vision of The Big Picture.

    A lifestyle pioneer welcomes the unconventional. If Life was predictable, it would be pretty boring. Life should not be a static existance; it should be ever changing, the Ultimate Adventure. Sometimes the changes are positive, sometimes the changes are negative. The key is to learn, adapt, and incorporate your experiences into what defines you.

    A lifestyle pioneer realizes that education exists outside of the formal classroom, and is an ongoing experience. Sometimes the University of Life has more to offer than the teaching facilities accredited by the state, and the classes tend to last longer than a semester. Grades will not be posted.

    A lifestyle pioneer never stops asking why. Oftentimes society or government or the evening news tries to placate us with an answer that they have decided is true. It is up to the individual to decide if that is the correct and complete response that fits in his or her own life. If not, ask questions, do your own research, and figure out what works for you.

    A lifestyle pioneer has carefully examined his or her own beliefs, and feels strongly about them. Beliefs can change over time due to situations and experiences, so evaluation of one's own ethics is a constant thing. Expressing doubt or questioning the reality that surrounds you is not a weakness, but a gauge to measure who you are and who you are becoming.

    A lifestyle pioneer is not easily pigeonholed or labelled.

    A lifestyle pioneer is not afraid to dance to the beat of a different drummer. Sometimes he or she may not be able to locate the proper percussive accompaniment, and might have to look for or create his or her own unique rhythms.

    A lifestyle pioneer often will seek out his or her own creative outlets, be it writing or painting or music or knitting or whatever makes you the individual that you are. Often what society calls your career is merely a means to do what you truly love.

    A lifestyle pioneer is most likely not completely satisfied with Life as it is. He or she is consistently looking for a way to contribute, to improve things, to change things for the better.

    Being a lifestyle pioneer is at times not an easy role, but often the most important lessons are the hardest to learn, and the most rewarding ones as well.


I can't say I live up to these guidelines all of the time, but it certainly gives me something to strive for in my day-to-day existance. I'm proud to include myself within a growing number of folks who find meaning and inspiration within these principles. And maybe if enough of us examine our lives and try to live by these standards, we can change the world.

The revolution starts today.

No comments: