Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Playing Dress-Up



Decisions, decisions...

I have two Halloween parties to go to this weekend, and I cannot decide on a costume (or costumes) for them. The first one is Friday night with zappagirl and memnochlv, and the second one is the annual NaNoWriMo Kick Off dinner and drinks silliness at Claddagh.

Here are the ideas I'm considering:

- an iPod ad. I won't be able to "silhouette" my head, but the rest would be easy enough. Multiple layers of black clothes + Antoinette = instant costume. Wonder if I can get someone to walk around behind me with a bright solid-colored background?

- Velma from Scooby Doo. I did this one last year. So negative points for originality, but triple word score for already having the costume, down to the glasses and a plush Scooby Doo purse.

- random medieval wench. (Kind of like this, but my bodice is black, the underskirt is burgundy, and the overskirt is a moss green.) Since we got rained out for the last weekend of the Ren fest, it would give me one more opportunity to wear my garb for the year. Unfortunately, the bodice might make sitting in a crowded booth at Claddagh a bit uncomfortable, and negotiating the skirts in the bathroom after a few beers is always an adventure.

- random saloon girl. This one is questionable, since I'm not sure if this costume still fits. (It looks a little bit like this, but mine is purple and a little fancier.) I wore it for an "Everyday is Halloween" party when I was bartending at the Warehouse. The granny boots that go with it make my feet hurt after a while, but that may have had something to do with standing on concrete slinging beers for 5 - 6 hours.

- random witch costume. This was the year I was recuperating from my broken ankle, so I wanted something no muss, no fuss. I had gone to a theme party (Come as Your Favorite Superhero) earlier in the month as Gimp Girl; my super power was putting on my boot. (Indeed, it was the first time I'd managed to get my boot on over my very swollen FrankenAnkle.) Unfortunately, I doubted that Gimp Girl was going to work at the annual Warehouse shindig, so in an act of desperation, I stopped at my local grocery store and bought a purple and black witch hat (mine does not have the attached fake hair), matching tights, and a sparkly purple star wand (because I'm a good witch) and added them to a black velvet dress I had hanging in the closet and a pair of sturdy boots. Ta-daaaa!

- Willow Rosenberg, BTVS, Season 2, Episode 14 ("Innocence"). This was a completely coincidental costume. Several years ago, I worked at the Warner Brother Studio Store in Kenwood. Much of my paycheck went back to the store. (This explains why I sometimes dress like the world's largest 7 year old.) One of the outfits I bought was a pair of brown corduroy overalls with a zipper mouthed Taz on the front pocket, and a striped multi-colored shirt to match. Imagine my suprise when my outfit showed up in an episode of Buffy one Tuesday night. It's an obscure costume selection, but I already have it and it's comfy. (Rocket launcher not included.)

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi I once tried to come as Jimi Hendrix to a Dead Rock Star party, but I would up being called Jesus instead. That name stuck for a long time.
Cheers

myopic said...

Hmmm... now that's a clue I can use.

Chris B? Is that you?